Willamette Writers Chapters are local writing communities where writers improve their craft and acquire the career skills required in today’s publishing world.
We are proud to welcome you to our Portland Writing Center! Every week, we offer drop-in critiques, brown bag lunches, and chances to connect with other writers. Check our events calendar for more information on what’s coming up next!
Portland Chapter Meetings
Portland Chapter monthly meetings have 70 to 100 attendees. Meetings are normally held the first Tuesday of each month, online. No meetings in August when we head to the Willamette Writers Conference.
Monthly meetings are open to all writers 18 and older. Meetings are free and open to the public. Read on to learn about our chapter, and join our mailing list to keep in touch.
Become a Willamette Writers Member today to enjoy membership benefits) and to support our community of writers.
About the Meetings
The Portland Chapter holds monthly meetings for writers in the Portland metropolitan area. Members from other chapters are always welcome, as are writers new to Willamette Writers. If you are interested in writing, or have been publishing for years, join your local chapter meeting this month. Here are the details.
Unless otherwise stated…
The Portland Chapter meets on the first Tuesday of each month except for August when we head to the Willamette Writers Conference.
Please check our events calendar for current location and time.
- 6:30-7:00 p.m., Meeting Setup, Signup, Fellowship and Refreshments
- 7:00-8:15 p.m., News and Announcements followed by the Program
- 8:15-8:30 p.m., Book signings, silent auctions, or other events in the back room
Would you like to be a speaker?
We are always looking for new speakers from around the region and around the country. Do you have a topic of interest to present to writers in our region?
Please contact us for scheduling and details.
The Chapter Co-Chairs
The Portland Chapter is run by two co-chairs who together create a program to fit the needs and interests of the Willamette Writers members from the Portland area.
Bill is author of A Story is a Promise and The Spirit of Storytelling, a writing workbook; and web master of Essays on the Craft of Dramatic Writing, www.storyispromise.com. His plays have been produced around the US, Mexico, and England. Visit Bill’s website, storyispromise.com and follow him on Facebook @bjscript and on Twitter @bjscript.
Katana began her writing journey five years ago. She has two short stories published in a new anthology, The Phone. Katana joined Willamette Writers in 2017.
Connect with the Chapter
- Join our meetings and workshops if you’re a writing enthusiasts from the Portland area, if you happen to be in the area, or if you are interested in a specific topic/speaker. All writers 18 and older welcome. Join us!
- Follow Willamette Writers on Twitter , and on Facebook where you can subscribe to our events.
- Join us on MeetUp to receive meeting updates
- Join our chapter’s mailing list to receive updates by email.
- Contact us if you have a specific inquiry or something you’d like to share with the chapter co-chairs.
Volunteer with the Chapter
Are you a local writer and want to be more involved with the Portland Chapter? Volunteer!
How would you like to be involved? Get in touch and let us know how you’d like help.