Named after one of the co-founders of Willamette Writers, the Kate Herzog Scholarship for high school seniors, college freshman and sophomores, ranges from financial amounts of $100 – $250. Winners are awarded one free day of attendance at the Willamette Writers Conference.Kate Herzog Writing Scholarship Submissions
The 2016 Kate Herzog Writing Scholarship award winners are:
1st, Julia Gagliardi, freshman Fordham University, for her short story A Night Ride
2, Jocelyne Vasquez, will attend University of Florida, for her non-fiction piece Rams From Around the World
3, Brittany Fust, will attend Oakland University, for her manuscript Alzheimer’s Story
4, Allie Spensley, high school senior, for her story Hiccups and poems Baptism and Aubade with Radius Fracture
Honorable Mention, Colette Parry, freshman, Simmons College, for her story Test
To apply for a 2017 scholarship (opening for submissions in Winter 2016) you will need:
1. A cover letter that includes a paragraph about the student’s goals as a writer.
2. Original, unpublished writing sample of less than 1000 words, typed, double-spaced. The sample should be titled, but should not include any information about the author. Writing published in school publications is eligible. Any topic. Fiction and poetry also accepted.
3. Letter of recommendation from an instructor in the current academic year.
In previous years, student entries have ranged about one third fiction, one third essays, one third memoirs, and some poetry. Letters of recommendation have generally run one to two short paragraphs. Long letters are not necessary.
Dates to Remember:
- Application Deadline April 30th, 2017 (post mark deadline; must be in the mail by the 30th)
- Finalists Will Be Announced June 30th, 2017
- Scholarships Will Be Awarded August 5th, 2017 at the Willamette Writers Conference
Finalists will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation expenses if they attend the conference.
For further information, please contact our Writing Awards and Contests Director, Blythe Ayne, at awards[at]willamettewriters[dot]com or Office Manager Bill Johnson at office[at]willamettewriters[dot]com or 503-305-6729.
Winners of the 2015 Herzog Writing Scholarships are:
1st place, Emily Alice Brockman, Seward, AK, for her nonfiction piece, Auntie Mock
2nd place, Addison Rizer, Phoenix, AZ, for her story, Supernova
3rd place, Claudia Owusu, Columbus, Ohio, for her poem Sophie Street
4th place, Hannah Rea, Lawrenceburg, Indiana, for her nonfiction piece, My Dearest London
Logan Shutt, A Swollen Heart
Anastasia Arvin-DiBlasio, The Overpass