- This event has passed.
Willamette Writers on the River’s Quarterly Reading – Spring 2016
March 21, 2016 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pmFree
You wrote it… You sweated over it… Now read it aloud at Willamette Writers on the River’s Quarterly Reading!
Sign Up to Read Your Own Work
Reading your work (be it poetry, prose, fiction or nonfiction) in front of others is an important aspect of the writing life. At the WWotR Quarterly Reading anyone can participate, you simply sign up at the event. These events tend to fill up, so if you want to read, it’s a good idea to get there as soon after 6:15 PM as possible. The number of readers is limited. First to sign up is first to read. Each person gets 7 minutes. No graphic violence, sex, or hate speech. Please tell the audience if your piece is fiction or nonfiction, and if it is part of a longer piece or a whole piece.
Read Your Work to a Live Audience!
Remember, this is an opportunity to read your written work. It is not meant to be an interactive forum or teaching session. A few tips to help make your performance a success:
- Practice out loud (it really helps!)
- Time yourself beforehand.
- Print your reading double-spaced and use a large, clear font so it is easy to read.
- Speak clearly.
And of course an audience is also needed. So if you don’t want to read, please come hear some talented writers present their work.
Free and Open to Everyone
Most of our meetings require a small admission fee, but these quarterly readings are free and open to everyone!
This program is not endorsed or sponsored by the First Presbyterian Church.
Connect with WWotR
- Join our meetings and workshops if you’re a writing enthusiasts from the Corvallis area, if you happen to be in the area, or if you are interested in a specific topic/speaker.
- Like our Facebook Page to keep in touch.
- Explore our blog and subscribe to it to receive notifications of new posts about local events and opportunities by email.
- Join our mailing list to learn what’s coming up next for the chapter.
- Find a local critique group or announce your group.
- Contact us privately if you have a specific inquiry or an announcement to share with the chapter.
Members from other chapters welcome!
WWotR’s Monthly Meetings
Unless otherwise stated…
Third Monday of each month from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Except for January when we meet on the Tuesday following Martin Luther King Day.
Dennis Hall at the First Presbyterian Church, 114 SW 8th St., Corvallis, OR 97333 (enter Dennis Hall at 9th & Monroe; parking lot entrance)
- 6:30-6:45 – Networking & social time
- 6:45-8:15 – WotR News and Announcements followed by the Program
- 8:15-8:30 – Networking & Speaker’s Book Sales
Our quarterly readings (March, June, September, and December) are free and open to the public. Other monthly meetings are free to members of Willamette Writers and full-time students. Guests of Willamette Writers members pay $5. Non-members pay $10 to attend. No one is turned away.