Corvallis: What is (Your) Publishing Success? with Valerie Ihsan
January 22 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
What does it mean to “make it” as an author? What about your publishing goals? What should you be aiming for? Author Valerie Ihsan will lead a discussion on the different kinds of success in the (self) publishing realm and what things a writer needs to consider when setting up their own publishing business.
Valerie Ihsan is the author of The Scent of Apple Tea and Smell the Blue Sky: young, pregnant, and widowed, winner of the B.R.A.G. Medallion for Top Indie-Published Books. She co-chaired the Mid-Valley Chapter of Willamette Writers for seven years, and now teaches low-cost classes for self-publishing for authors. She also teaches various workshops on writing, editing, and on grief, such as “Booze and Chocolate Aren’t the Only Ways to Cope: Turning negative emotions into art.” She’s a successful freelance editor through her company, Yellow Pen Editing, and is also a certified bereavement facilitator, and licensed massage therapist.
For more information about our guest, please visit: ValerieIhsanAuthor.com
Willamette Writers on the River Chapter Meeting
Willamette Writers on the River meets the fourth Monday of the month (except August and December) from 6:30-8:30 PM.
Willamette Writers members and guests are invited to join us. We work with writers in all stages of their careers, helping them find their community, develop their craft, and expand their careers.
Please remember that meetings may have to be rescheduled due to unforeseen circumstances. We will do our best to keep you updated. We look forward to seeing you at our chapter meeting!
The First Presbyterian Church, 114 SW 8th St., Corvallis, OR 97333 (Use the parking lot entrance at 9th & Monroe. Other doors are locked.) We will be in the Allison Room. Watch for the sign in the hall to point you in the right direction.
Our programs are not endorsed or sponsored by First Presbyterian Church.
Program Meeting Format
- 6:30-6:45 – Networking & social time
- 6:45-8:15 – WotR News and Announcements followed by the Program
- 8:15-8:30 – Networking & Speaker’s Book Sales
- 6:15-6:30 — Sign-ups
- 6:30-8:30 — News and Announcements followed by readings
Meetings with speakers are free to members of Willamette Writers and full-time students 22 or younger. Guests of Willamette Writers members pay $5. Non-members pay $10 to attend. Our quarterly readings (March, June, September, and December) are free and open to the public. No one is turned away.
Connect with WWotR
- Join our meetings and workshops if you’re a writing enthusiasts from the Corvallis area, if you happen to be in the area, or if you are interested in a specific topic/speaker.
- Like our Facebook Page to keep in touch.
- Explore our blog and subscribe to it to receive notifications of new posts about local events and opportunities by email.
- Join our mailing list to learn what’s coming up next for the chapter.
- Find a local critique group or announce your group.
- Contact us privately if you have a specific inquiry or an announcement to share with the chapter.