- This event has passed.
Complete Your Manuscript – Get the Support You Need
February 17, 2016 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
“Complete Your Manuscript – Get the Support You Need” | Presented by Jill Kelly
Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
At the Salem Public Library (Anderson Room B)
PLEASE NOTE: WILLAMETTE WRITERS SALEM NOW MEETS ON THE 3RD WEDNESDAY
From coaches to beta-readers, workshops to retreats, self-editing to a paid editor, we’ll discuss 12 ways to complete your manuscript:
- Workshops and classes
- Support groups vs. critique groups
- Writing Fridays
- Writing retreats
- Beta-readers (paid and unpaid)
- When are you done? How do you know?
- Self-publishing vs. agent/editor/traditional publishing
- Editing vs. rewriting
- Assessing your own editing skills
- Hiring an editor: why the money is worth it
- Book designer, cover designer
- Costs of publication
About Our Speaker – Jill Kelly
Jill Kelly, PhD, is a freelance editor and writer. Her most recent novel is When Your Mother Doesn’t (April 2015, Skyhorse, New York). She is the author of two other novels, The Color of Longing (3 Cats Press, 2013) and Fog of Dead Souls (Skyhorse, 2014). Her memoir, Sober Truths: The Making of an Honest Woman, was a finalist for the Oregon Book Award. She is a frequent presenter at the Willamette Writers Conference on editing and a spokesperson for enhanced creativity for people in recovery. She has been helping writers move their manuscripts to completion for over 20 years.
Follow-up Workshop: Get Ready to Publish with Jill Kelly
Jill will offer a “Get Ready to Publish” workshop in Salem on the Saturday following the monthly meeting (February 21, 1:15-4:15 p.m.). Click here to learn more and to register. Sign up before February 3rd to take advantage of our Early Bird pricing ($30 for Willamette Writers members) and so that Jill will review your sample pages before the workshop. Sign up today!
6:30-7 pm: social time, including news and member announcements*
7-8:30 pm: speaker’s presentation followed by Q&A and book sales/signing
* We have snacks, but if you want coffee or water, please bring it with you.
- Free for members of Willamette Writers (all chapters).
- Free for full-time students under 22 years old.
- Guests of Willamette Writers members pay $5.
- Non-members pay $10 to attend meetings.
Connect with the Salem Chapter
We think writers are awesome!
- Join our meetings and workshops if you’re a writing enthusiasts from the Salem area, if you happen to be in the area, or if you are interested in a specific topic/speaker.
- Like our Facebook Page to keep in touch.
- Explore our blog and subscribe to it to receive notifications of new posts about local events and opportunities by email.
- Join our mailing list to learn what’s coming up next for the chapter.
- Find a local critique group or announce your group.
- Contact us privately if you have a specific inquiry or an announcement to share with the chapter.
All writers welcome. Join us!