- This event has passed.
Master Class: Jody Rein — Query Letter Workshop
Learn how to effectively write about your work in this intensive workshop. In the end, all books are sold to agents and editors based on Hooks, Queries and Proposals—if you can’t sell yourself and your work on paper, you can’t sell your work—no matter how well you talk about it! In this intensive workshop with publishing maven Jody Rein, you’ll:
- Leave with your QUERY LETTER drafted and reviewed
- Create and review one-to-three knockout HOOKS for your book
- Nonfiction writers and self-publishers will also have the opportunity to draft your PROPOSAL OUTLINE
- Top 10 query-killers
- Five musts for every query: what agents and editors need to see
- The fail-safe way to get your emailed query read
- Resources for additional (free) query help
- The basics: format and structure
- The single goal each query must accomplish
- Come to class with a list of five to ten books that are similar to yours.
- For novelists, that means successful, traditionally published books in the same genre; similar enough in story and scope that your book might be a “If you liked this book, try that book!” recommendation.
- For nonfiction writers and memoirists, that means books written on the same topic as yours; similar in tone and scope. These are books a reader might purchase instead of your book, or along with your book.
- You don’t need to have a query written before you come to class, but if you do, you’ll be a few steps ahead. (All great writing is rewriting, you know that, right?)
Jody Rein, founder of literary agency Jody Rein Books, Inc. and the consulting company AuthorPlanet, was previously executive editor with divisions of Big Five Publishers Penguin Random House and HarperCollins in New York. Agency projects include bestseller and film The Big Year by Pulitzer Prize winner Mark Obmascik; bestseller and sitcom 8 Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter by W. Bruce Cameron; bestseller You Can Draw in 30 Days by PBS personality Mark Kistler, and bestseller Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King. She is the co-author of the industry standard How to Write a Book Proposal, Fifth Edition with Michael Larsen.