In 2014, high school seniors and college freshman and sophomores can enter. There are four scholarships. Financial amounts to be determined will be in the range of $100-$250.
To apply for a 2014 scholarship please forward:
1. Original, unpublished writing sample of less than 1000 words, typed, double-spaced. The sample should be titled, but should not include any information about the author. Writing published in school publications is eligible. Any topic. Fiction and poetry also accepted.
2. A cover letter with contact information that includes the title of the writing sample, and a paragraph that includes information about the student’s goals as a writer.
3. Letter of recommendation from an instructor in the current academic year.
Submit all materials to the following address:Kate Herzog Scholarship
2108 Buck St.
West Linn, OR 97068
or submit items via attached PDFs in an email to Lizzy Shannon at awards[at]willamettewriters[dot]com and use “Kate Herzog Scholarship Application” in the subject line.
In previous years, student entries have ranged about one third fiction, one third essays, one third memoirs, and some poetry. Letters of recommendation have generally run one to two short paragraphs. Long letters are not necessary.
Dates to Remember:
- Application Deadline March 27th, 2014 (post mark deadline; must be in the mail by the 27th)
- Finalists Will Be Announced June 30, 2014
- Scholarships Will Be Awarded August 3rd, 2014
Finalists will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation expenses if they attend the conference.
For further information, please contact our Awards and Scholarship Chair, Lizzy Shannon, at awards[at]willamettewriters[dot]com or Bill Johnson at wilwrite[at]willamettewriters[dot]com or 503-305-6729.