Southern Oregon Willamette Writers Monthly Meeting presents:
Melissa Hart: Write Articles to Network, Build Platform & Oh Yeah, Earn a Paycheck! Morning Presentation and Afternoon Workshop
When: Sat., Sept. 7, 2013 Where: Central Point City Hall Council Chambers 140 So. 3rd Street, Central Point, Oregon
Write Articles to Network, Build Platform & Oh Yeah, Earn a Paycheck! The Presentation: In a fun and lively morning lecture, Eugene-based freelance writer and author Melissa Hart will talk about how to pitch and write non-fiction articles for magazines, newspapers, and blogs, including:
- how to write a query letter that gets editors salivating,
- how to identify and interview the perfect sources,
- how to craft an article with subheads and a sidebar,
- how to promote their published articles via social media to build a platform.
Afternoon Session: ($30.00 for members, $35.00 for guests) 1:30-4:30.
Write Articles to Network, Build Platform & Oh Yeah, Earn a Paycheck! The Afternoon Workshop will guide participants to:
- identify a marketable article idea and
- craft your own compelling short article from lead and nutgraph to the body of the article including anecdotes, mini-profiles, and charismatic quotes from exciting sources.
Melissa presents timely information that helps you come away from the workshop with a great idea and a plan to get it published.
HOW: Morning: Just show up. Afternoon: We ask that you pre-register for the afternoon workshop. Contact Carol Ovenburg at email@example.com
Melissa Hart is the author of the memoir, Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood (Seal, 2009) and of the upcoming memoir, Learning to Triangulate: A Romance, An Adoption, and a Baby Barred Owl (Lyons Press, 2014). Her essays and articles have appeared in The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Los Angeles Times, The Writer, Writer’s Digest, The Advocate, Brain Child, Mothering, Orion, High Country News, and numerous other publications. She teaches at the School of Journalism and Communication, University of Oregon. www.melissahart.com.