At FiLMLaB, the experiment is you!
Willamette Writers is accepting accepting short screenplays for their 2016 FiLMLaB Competition through March 26th, 2016. We look forward to reading your work!
Unlike other screenwriting contests, FiLMLaB offers its winning writer a very unique Grand Prize: the production of their script!
The end result, their short film, will debut at the Willamette Writers Conference in August of 2016, where Hollywood producers, agents and managers are in residence for a weekend of workshops and pitching.
How well will YOUR story translate from the script to the screen?
We are seeking writers with an ability to tell a compelling story quickly and cinematically while adhering to rules designed to prompt, inspire and/or limit the scope. With the help of local film professionals, the winning script will be filmed and produced in beautiful Portland, Oregon and surrounding areas.
As a general rule, scripts are limited to a total of seven pages in standard screenplay format, and should unfold within one principal location, featuring 2-4 main characters. Scripts will be judged on their writing, and adherence to containment parameters.
Included for 2016, you must use the following prompts:
Prompt #2: Willamette Writers members voted to include a Slim Pickens album (yes – that specific Slim Pickens album) as an object prompt. The object does not need to be central to the story, but neither should it sit passively on a shelf. It must be utilized at least once.
Please read the complete Rules and Guidelines.
Submission Guidelines: Create a PDF version of your script that contains no personal information (we will distribute these to the judges to allow for anonymity). On the title page, list only the title of your script, along with “FilmLab 2016” and a four-digit code of your choosing (so we can tell scripts with identical titles apart). Submit using Submittable.
Submission Period: Scripts must be received by Willamette Writers no later than midnight March 26, 2016 to be considered.
- Early submissions – $30 members $40 non-members January 5th – February 6th
- Regular submissions – $35 members $45 non-members February 7th – March 5th
- Late submissions – $40 members $50 non-members March 6th – March 26th
Write and submit your short film today and get your script made into a movie!
Grand Prize: Our Grand Prize winner will have the opportunity to “step into the lab” and collaborate with the director and crew during preproduction, and to be on set during filming–all in order to broaden their understanding with real world experience. The film will debut at the Willamette Writers Conference, August 12 – 14th, 2016.
- Registration with IMDb
- Three day pass to the Willamette Writers Conference
- InkTip Script Listing: A listing of your script on InkTip so that producers and reps can find you.
- InkTip Magazine: Publication of your logline in InkTip’s magazine sent to nearly 15,000 producers and reps. InkTip helps writers sell their scripts and get representation. Producers have made more than 200 films from scripts and writers they found through InkTip.